Is pain causing you to become less active and healthy? Are you finding that your mobility is compromised or that you are experiencing regular pain somewhere in your body that wasn’t there before? If you were in an auto accident, experienced a sports injury, are feeling persistent chronic aches and pains, or simply want to evaluate your health and prevent future discomfort or pain, your local chiropractic wellness center can assist you. In fact, injured workers with similar injuries have been found to be 28 times less likely to need spinal surgery if they initially work with a doctor of chiropractic rather than a surgeon.
Before your first appointment with any doctor of chiropractic, it is important to know about the chiropractic profession itself, what it can treat, what it can prevent, as well as how chiropractic care can carry forward into your everyday wellness. We will also explore what you can expect at your first appointment, and what to plan for going forward. And rest assured, you are not alone in this endeavor; it is estimated that chiropractors treat over 27 million Americans (adults and children) annually.
You may be interested in some key facts about the chiropractic profession. As prescription pain drug usage increases yearly, and spinal fusions reach record numbers (up 500% over the last decade), many people are looking for more natural ways to heal their bodies. Doctors of chiropractic are becoming the frontrunners as the primary care approach for prevention, diagnosis and management of back and spinal disorders. Often times the services provided by these chiropractic wellness centers can allow patients to avoid more immediate, riskier approaches, such as narcotics or surgery.
Chiropractic is used to treat patients of all ages with a variety of health conditions. Doctors of chiropractic are especially predisposed to apply their expertise in caring for back pain, neck pain and chronic headaches. They can also address injuries and misalignments in the musculoskeletal system. Injuries to muscles, ligaments and joints throughout the body impact not only the injured area, but also surrounding nervous tissue. Since our nervous system contains over 100 billion neurons, which form this nervous tissue, when this tissue is impacted or compromised, it can lead to pain and discomfort.
By treating an injury at its source, chiropractic care alleviates not only the pain from the initial spot of injury, but also any pain that has traveled or radiated out as a result of impacting the nearby nervous tissues. In addition to these benefits, patients may also consult their chiropractic wellness center for questions on diet, nutrition, occupational/lifestyle modifications, exercise and other healthy habits to improve their overall well-being and prevent injury from occurring in the first place.
During your initial visit to a doctor of chiropractic, you will receive a thorough, comprehensive evaluation and consultation consisting of:
- Forms: By filling out our New Patient forms, you will provide us with invaluable information about your medical history and current status. We will cover allergies, current and past ailments as well as family history to ensure that your care is tailored to you.
- Consultation: After filling out your paperwork, you will meet with our doctor of chiropractic to discuss any health-related problems and concerns, as well as explore potential treatment options. In this way, you can comfortably explain your goals in a face-to-face manner and get the individualized attention your specific case deserves.
- Examination: Next, the chiropractor will perform a complete examination that tests your reflexes, flexibility and range of motion. You may also go through other additional neurological, orthopedic, postural and physical tests depending on the nature of your care and what the doctor discovers in the initial examination. This is meant to be a safe and educational experience for both the patient and doctor. For that reason, no tests are done without consent of the patient.
- X-Rays: Your chiropractic wellness center may take X-rays to get a complete picture of your skeletal structure and identify any serious spinal conditions. By taking a close look at the interior structure of your neck and spine, all doubt and speculation can be removed and replaced with clear evidence of any misalignments, degenerations or problem spots.
- Findings Report: Once we have collected all this information, the Chiropractor will give a detailed report on all findings and from there be able to answer how chiropractic care may be able to help. At this point, it will be established what treatments would work, how often you would visit and how much the treatment will cost.
Once you have completed these parts of the initial visit, you may be offered the chance to experience your first treatment or come back at a later time. In either case, if you choose to receive treatment, subsequent appointments will be scheduled out and your treatment can begin. If, at any point, you have questions or concerns about your treatment or exploring other paths of treatment, you can address them to your chiropractor at your chiropractic wellness center at any time. Furthermore, healthcare members with chiropractic coverage (chiropractic care is recognized by governmental health care programs) have lower annual healthcare costs than those without coverage.
Have you had any experience with:
- Traveling soreness or persistent pain
- Joint pain
- Osteoarthritis or degenerative discs
- Musculoskeletal difficulties
- Decreased range of motion
- Back pain
Or any similar symptoms? Has chiropractic helped? Tell us about your experience through email, phone or posting a comment below.
We want to help you discover how a visit to your chiropractor does a world of good for your health and well-being. You can rest easy knowing that chiropractic care is repeatedly shown to be one of the safest portals of entry-level health care available today. Let us show you how your first visit to a chiropractic wellness center is a proactive step in the direction of comprehensive, safe, affordable healthcare for you and your family.