When you want to obtain healthcare for your family, the first question you usually ask is, “Is it safe?” You might be asking about the reputation of the doctor you’re going to see, or whether a medication or medical procedure carries any adverse risks. At all times, the safety and wellbeing of you and your family is at the front of your mind.
The same is true for any Clermont chiropractor: we want to offer our patients the safest and most effective care possible, in order to help you and your family remain happy and healthy. When you go to see a chiropractor in Clermont, Florida, you should rest assured that you are in good hands.
There are many reasons why you might be going to see a chiropractor.
- 20% of the patients who get chiropractic care do so for relief of neck pain.
- Over 35% of patients visit in order to get relief of back pain, in both the upper and lower back.
- A variety of patients go to see chiropractors for conditions like arthritis, headaches, and other spine-related injuries and discomfort.
In all instances, you are seeking care that is safe, effective, and affordable.
How Chiropractic Care Works
In order to understand why going to see a Clermont chiropractor is safe, you first need to understand what chiropractic care consists of. Here, we will provide a general overview of the kinds of treatments and services available in many chiropractic offices.
The most common form of chiropractic treatment is spinal manipulation, or adjustment. This involves the use of pressure on the spine, loosening the joints in order to increase mobility, reduce pain, and improve function. This is done either with the hands, or with a device specially developed to facilitate adjustment. Chiropractors are trained to use force in a controlled way to do this type of manipulation, and the force can be quick or slow, and may be gentle or strong, depending on the patient.
Adjustment can also be performed on other areas and joints within the body, including the legs and arms. Ultimately, it improves the joint’s range of motion, and relieves pressure on the nerves. The goal of a Clermont chiropractor is to open up the pathway between the nerves, so that the body can more effectively communicate with itself via the brain and spine. In doing this, the normal function of the nerves is restored and the body is better able to heal itself.
Another way that chiropractors treat their patients is through recommending changes in lifestyle in order to improve overall health and restore normal function to the body. This ranges from changes in diet to exercise habits, and can also encompass ergonomics, such as chairs or braces that improve posture. Many also recommend different types of nutrition and supplements, particularly when a deficiency may be the root cause of a patient’s pain or condition. These changes, when combined with chiropractic adjustment, can often pave the way to better healing for most chiropractic patients.
In addition to adjustment and lifestyle changes, a Clermont chiropractor may also offer you other types of therapies, including massage, hot and cold therapy, stretching exercises, and others. Some incorporate natural forms of healing, including aroma therapy and acupuncture, into their practice as well, combining traditional chiropractic treatments with alternative medicine to achieve the best health possible.
Have you been to a chiropractor for treatment before? What kinds of treatment options did your doctor provide? Were they effective in treating your injury or condition? Tell us about it, we love to hear from you.
What These Treatments Mean for You
As you can see from the types of treatments discussed, chiropractic care has several traits that make it safe and effective:
- Chiropractic care is non-invasive; it does not involve incisions or injections, reducing the risk of issues like infection or complications arising from surgical procedures.
- Chiropractic care is natural: it focuses on promoting the body’s ability to heal itself through healthy practices, and through restoring the body’s balance and nerve function through chiropractic adjustment.
- A Clermont chiropractor will not prescribe you medications that might mask your symptoms, but do little to treat the root cause of any problems that you are having. This reduces your risk of side effects.
Low Risk Treatments
The treatments done by chiropractors are therefore extremely safe and carry few risks for patients who seek out their help.
- About 1 million chiropractic adjustments are carried out every business day in the United States.
- The risk of complications from things like artery injuries are the same as any in the general population – about 1 to 3 cases in 100,000 people will have an issue, though the evidence suggests it is often in patients who have pre-existing arterial disease and would suffer such complications even during daily activities, including shampooing of the hair or turning the head when driving.
Generally, the most often-reported side effects of treatment from a Clermont chiropractor are stiffness or soreness at the site of the adjustment. This usually lasts for one to two days following treatment, and goes away without further incident.
In order to keep your risk as low as possible, you should always inform your chiropractor of any pre-existing conditions and issues you have before undergoing treatment. You should have the opportunity to do this upon your first visit, when you provide a full health history. You should be sure to notify the chiropractor immediately if you suffer from osteoporosis or any other conditions that might make your bones or muscles particularly weak, as this can create a problem with certain types of treatments and adjustments.
If you are interested in learning more about the benefits of chiropractic care, we invite you to contact us at the South Lake Wellness & Injury Center. We are always happy to answer new patient questions and invite you in for a preliminary consultation. Give us a call today.